A man looks as smoke billows after a missile attack from Yemen in central Israel, September 15, 2024. REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun |
A man looks as smoke billows after a missile attack from Yemen in central Israel, September 15, 2024. REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun |
A door panel blew off a 737 MAX jet mid-air in January |
A pedestrian walks near the British embassy in Moscow, Russia September 13, 2024. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina |
Authorities in India’s northeastern state of Manipur have imposed an indefinite curfew and blocked internet access following student protests against a new surge in the ethnic violence that has rocked the region for more than a year.
On Tuesday, a notice from the state’s Home Ministry ordered all internet and mobile data services to be shut off for five days to bring the latest unrest under control.
“Some anti-social elements might use social media extensively for transmission of images, hate speech and hate video messages inciting the passions of the public,” the notice said.
Manipur, a restive state of 3.2 million people tucked in the mountains on India’s border with Myanmar, has experienced periodic violence for more than a year between the predominantly Hindu-majority Meitei and the mainly Christian Kukis over economic benefits and government jobs and education quotas.
Despite a heavy army presence, the deadly clashes have persisted.
At least nine people have been killed and several injured in the last 10 days as armed groups launched drone attacks and rockets from homemade devices.
Hundreds of Meitei in the state capital, Imphal, defied a curfew imposed earlier on Tuesday to demand that security forces take action against Kuki fighting groups, whom they blame for the latest spate of attacks.
Student-led protests on Monday turned violent after the crowd threw stones and plastic bottles at security forces, police said in a statement, adding that protesters in another district snatched arms from police and fired at them.
On Tuesday, police lobbed tear gas at hundreds of students who attempted to march towards the Manipur governor’s house and demanded the restoration of peace in the state.
Students say they are frustrated with the government’s failure to resolve the 16-month-long conflict.
About 250 people have been killed and tens of thousands displaced after mobs rampaged through villages and torched houses since last May.
Student leader Ch Victor Singh said that protesters gave Governor Lakshman Prasad Acharya 24 hours to respond to a list of demands, which includes the removal of the top police official in the state and the security adviser for their failure to control the violence, the Press Trust of India news agency reported.
“We urge the students to engage in peaceful marches or protests and follow the law,” said IK Muivah, a senior police officer in Imphal.
He said police were investigating the recent attacks.
[Aljazeera]
Internet suspended in parts of India's Manipur as students clash with police
In October, we will mark a year since the start of Israel’s genocidal assault on the Palestinian people in the Gaza Strip. We need the largest possible mobilisation to demonstrate our solidarity, demand an end to the genocide, and to call on the British government to stop arming Israel. To enable this, we previously announced a national demonstration in London on 12 October. However, following representations, including from members of the Jewish Bloc – representing the thousands of Jewish people who have taken part in every single march over the past year, we have decided to change the date to 5 October to avoid a clash with Yom Kippur.
We are immensely proud of the breadth and diversity of our movement against genocide and for Palestinian rights. We are young and old, from a wide array of racial, ethnic, and religious backgrounds, women, LGBTQ+, and none of the above. We reject all attempts to smear our peaceful protests. We march because we stand against the racist logic that some lives are less precious than others and in defiance of the racist ideology that maintains that between the river and the sea, one people – Jewish Israelis – have rights, while another people – Palestinians – have no rights at all. We stand for the universal principles of freedom and justice.
Join us on 5 October when we march in London to call for an end to the genocide in Gaza and to 76 years of colonisation, ethnic cleansing, and apartheid.
Palestine Solidarity Campaign
Palestinian Forum in Britain
Friends of Al-Aqsa
Stop the War Coalition
Muslim Association of Britain
Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
10 Sep 2024 • by Stop the War
Palestinians attend funeral for American activist ‘shot dead by Israeli troops’
Aysenur Ezgi Eygi (Courtesy of the Eygi family/International Solidarity Movement via AP) (AP) |
The Palestinian Authority has held a funeral procession for a US-Turkish dual national activist who a witness says was shot and killed by Israeli forces while demonstrating against settlements in the occupied West Bank.
Dozens of mourners — including several leading PA officials — attended the procession.
Security forces carried the body of Aysenur Ezgi Eygi which was draped in a Palestinian flag while a traditional black-and-white scarf covered her face.
The 26-year-old’s body was then placed into the back of a Palestinian ambulance.
A Palestinian honor guard carries the body of Aysenur Ezgi Eygi (Nasser Nasser/AP) (Nasser Nasser/AP) |
Turkish Foreign Ministry Spokesman Oncu Keceli said Turkey was working on repatriating Ms Eygi’s remains for burial in the Aegean coastal town of Didim as per her family’s wishes, but “because the land crossing from the Palestinian territories to Jordan was closed as of Sunday, the ministry was trying to have the body flown directly to Turkey”.
US officials did not respond to a request for comment.
Jonathan Pollak, an Israeli peace activist who participated in Friday’s protest, said Israeli forces shot her on Friday in the city of Nablus while posing no threat, adding that the killing happened during a period of calm after clashes between soldiers and Palestinian protesters.
Security forces carried the body of Aysenur Ezgi Eygi which was draped in a Palestinian flag. |
Mr Pollak said he then saw two Israeli soldiers mount the roof of a nearby home, train a gun in the group’s direction and fired, with one of the bullets striking Ms Eygi in the head.
The Israeli military said it was looking into reports that troops had killed a foreign national while firing at an “instigator of violent activity” in the area of the protest.
The West Bank has seen a surge of violence since the Israel-Hamas war began in October, with increasing Israeli raids, attacks by Palestinian militants on Israelis, and attacks by Israeli settlers on Palestinians⍐.
ஆனந்தபுரத்துக்கு திட்டம் வகுத்த ஈழப்படுகொலைப் பாசிச மோடியே திரும்பிப் போ! சொல்லில் சோசலிசமும் செயலில் பாசிசமுமான, சமூக பாசிச அனுரா ஆட்சிய...