Monday 12 October 2009

This is my last address to Army – Gen. Sarath Fonseka

This is my last address to Army – Gen. Sarath Fonseka
By Saroj Pathirana Monday, 12 October 2009 14:48
General Sarath Fonseka Chief of Defense Staff addressing officers and men of the Sri Lanka Army at the 60th Army Anniversary Parade in Colombo said it was the last time he was making an address of that nature. He said he has finished his obligations dedicated to the Army.Speaking at the ceremony Gen. Fonseka said, “This may be the last occasion I make an address of this nature to officers and men of the Sri Lanka Army. Although I am still serving in the Army I have finished my obligations dedicated to the Army as I have reached different heights at this time. After serving for 40 years I have already done my share for the Army and I have done this in a historical manner as I gave the leadership for the Army to win the 30 year long war.”
According to political analysts this indicates the dissatisfaction over the way Gen. Fonseka is being treated by the President and the government. The contradiction between President Mahinda Rajapaksha and Gen. Sarath Fonseka had come to the surface at the 60th anniversary celebrations of the Army held at BMICH recently. According to several reports that appeared in the media Gen. Fonseka was not happy regarding how he is being treated by the President and the government. There were rumors that he had been offered the post of Secretary to the Sports Ministry which Gen. Fonseka had rejected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NYT TELLS JOURNALISTS TO AVOID WORDS “GENOCIDE,” “ETHNIC CLEANSING,” AND “OCCUPIED TERRITORY''

LEAKED NYT GAZA MEMO TELLS JOURNALISTS TO AVOID WORDS “GENOCIDE,” “ETHNIC CLEANSING,” AND “OCCUPIED TERRITORY” Amid the internal battle over...